[openib-general] Re: IP addressing on InfiniBand networks (Caitlin Bestler)

David M. Brean David.Brean at Sun.COM
Tue Jul 5 13:08:49 PDT 2005

The IB spec says "A GID is a valid 128-bit IPv6 address (per RFC 2373)
with additional properties / restrictions defined within IBA to
facilitate efficient discovery, communication, and routing.", so I don't
think it needs to say much more.  [Perhaps the IB specification should
refer to the more recent RFC 3513 that obsoletes RFC 2373...]  One of
those IBA restrictions result from being limited to assigning one 64-bit
value for the upper 64-bits of the GID, called the GID prefix, per IB
subnet.  If GIDs are used to represent IPv6 addresses on an IB subnet,
then only one IP subnet prefix can be mapped onto an IB subnet.  This
limitation goes along with the additional work of integrating GID
management into the IP management applications for assigning IP addresses.

Restrictions on IP address assignment are removed when using the GID as
specified by the IETF IPoIB as a link layer address and IB partitions
can be used to create multiple IP links per IB subnet.  Also, the IP
management application integration effort is significantly smaller.

Therefore, I recommend that a solution for mapping between IP and GIDs
not rely on GIDs being used as the IP addresses.

-David