[openib-general] RE: userspace event reporting

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Tue Jul 12 13:31:08 PDT 2005

>For cq, there can only be one outstanding event of each kind at a time.
>So you can just keep a mask of events that happened, avoiding any mallocs.
>Is that not the same for cm?

For a listening cm_id, there could be multiple connection requests associated
with the listen in process at the same time.  You also need to report additional
information versus just indicating which event occurred.

>Anyway, once you can get all events from a given object, you can just go
>and remove all events, without state, reference counting or whatever.
>
>Thats what I advocate instead of waiting until all events are delivered.
>Makes sense?

I don't think that it avoids the issue.  Are you referring to setting a bit in a
kernel or userspace structure?  I just don't see how this helps indicate to a
userspace app that an event has occurred, provide them the necessary information
regarding the event, plus give them some context so that they can associate the
event with something.