[openib-general] Re: [Rdma-developers] Meeting (07/22) summary:OpenRDMA community development discussion

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at osdl.org
Fri Jul 29 15:52:56 PDT 2005

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:59:03 -0400 (EDT)
James Lentini <jlentini at netapp.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Woodruff, Robert J wrote:
>
> > Venkat wrote,
> >> If anyone attended any one of the summits (netconf or kernel) and
> >> would be great if they can shed some light on this discussion.
> >
> > Roland attended the kernel summit and he was
> > also at the InfiniBand BOF where we discussed
> > the possibility of modifying the
> > IB verbs to also support iWarp as probably the right way to
> > go. Not sure if this was discussed at the kernel summit or not,
> > but perhaps Roland can provide some insight on that question.
>
> The subject came up at the kernel summit when Jamal Hadi Salim
> reported on the presentations at Netconf, in particular Stephen
> Hemminger's, see http://vger.kernel.org/netconf2005.html).
>
> It was noted that iWARP vendors are working with the OpenIB community
> on a common interface. The consensus was that this is the right
> direction.

The consensus was more of wait and see what comes up.  My discussion
at netconf was more of an informative session to get the participants to
know that activity is going on and some code may be coming. It was all
of 5 minutes at the end of a busy day, so it didn't count for much.

At the KS, Jamal's presentation caused some response. Which I don't
remember exactly, but Christoph may be able to fill in the details.