[openib-general] opensm

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Thu Jun 9 13:43:46 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 16:21, Joe Damato wrote:
> Hello,
>     I recently started to check out infiniband -- unfortunately I am
> unable to find documentation explaining how to use the different tools.
> Most notably, I have read lots of things that mention opensm and/or
> osmtest,

I'm curious as to what mentions osmtest. Are you talking about OpenIB
(gen2) or gen1 ?

> but I have been unable to find documentation that explains how
> to use these tools,

The documentation is in userspace/management. There is a README and a
user manual and release notes under that in osm/doc.

>  and how to test an infiniband setup.

Not sure what you mean by test an infiniband setup.

> Any pointers to
> where more information can be found would be greatly appreciated. (I
> have found plenty of lower-level information regarding the architecture
> and stuff, right now I am looking for more very high level information,
> just so I can try to test out the small IB set up I have).

Is it back to back HCAs ?

>  ifconfig on a
> test machine shows ib0 and ib1, both with the same ip address

Were these manually configured IP addresses ?

Are you just looking to run IPoIB ?

>  although I
> have no idea what else needs to be done (more setup possibly?) or how to
> test. My apologies for wasting anyone's time, as this list seems to be
> mostly development-related and my question does seem somewhat "trivial"
> compared to the other traffic on this list.

To bring up an IB subnet, you need an SM to bring the ports to active.
Then you can start to talk some ULPs.

There is info on bringing up IPoIB in linux-kernel/docs. There are
ipoib.txt and ipoib_faq.txt.

There is also a wiki which was started:
https://openib.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=MellanoxHcaFirmware

Hope this is enough to get you rolling...