[openib-general] uverbs performance; ibv_pingpong poll vs sleep

Steven Wooding sinate at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 01:13:34 PDT 2005

Thanks. I'll  give pipeling ago in my app.

Cheers,

Steve.

Roland Dreier <roland at topspin.com> wrote:
Steven> I have compaired the data rates using ibv_pingpong with
Steven> and without the -e option. Therefore, using polling and
Steven> waiting the CQ events (sleeping).

Steven> Is there any way to trade off the data rate with the CPU
Steven> usage (I was thinking of some timeout from polling).

I suppose you could have some sort of adaptive polling scheme that
spins polling for a while and then sleeps waiting for an event.
However, as Michael said, it's probably better to use pipelining and
post multiple send work requests. This hides the latency of getting a
completion event by keeping the HCA busy.

- R.