[openib-general] http://www.openib.org/doc.html update

Fab Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Thu Jun 16 15:35:52 PDT 2005

Thanks.  I've been trying to RTFM, and I think I'm now making forward progress.

>     Fab> The source repositories have to stay separate due to
>     Fab> licensing and hosting issues.
>
> Well, the supposed "licensing" issues never made any sense to me --
> what is the the legal difference between separate directories on one
> server and separate servers in the same domain?  But if it's OK to
> share one wiki according to whatever the rules are, then I don't mind.

There were also hosting issues that prevented the Windows code from sharing the
same server as the Linux code.  I didn't create either of the licensing or
hosting issues - I just went along with them independent of my personal opinion.

>     Fab> If we don't want to share the Wiki, then the existing Wiki
>     Fab> (and all Linux related content) needs to move to a new
>     Fab> subdomain like linux.openib.org, with a top level page that
>     Fab> directs people to the appropriate operating system.
>
> That actually sounds like a good idea to me.

I think having this would probably make sense too.  The simplest way to do this
would be to have the DNS entries updated and just point linux.openib.org to the
same IP as openib.org.  However, I would like to keep a common home page if
possible.  In fact, having a common Wiki at the home page gives the OpenIB web
content as much of a consistent look and feel as possible, independent of the
related projects.

- Fab