[openib-general] mapping between IP address and device name

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Thu Jun 23 07:38:31 PDT 2005

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Hal Rosenstock wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 23:40, Roland Dreier wrote:
>> There was some discussion a while ago about an "IB address
>> translation" service proposed by the Voltaire crew, which would
>> encapsulate some of this.  However, we didn't make much progress
>> towards a good API design, and the discussion fizzled out.
>
> IBAT is currently being used in conjunction with kdapl. There is further
> work to incorporate ATS (service records) going on currently as well.
>
> Perhaps it is time to restart the IBAT API discussion as to what needs
> to change to make it acceptable for the mainstream.

The IBAT API provides the two key services needed by kDAPL: the
ability to obtain a route based on an IP address and the ability to
map a GID to an IP address.

Is there agreement that an IB address translation service must provide
these two services?

If we have the requirements down, we can concentrate on the
implementation.

james