[openib-general] mapping between IP address and device name

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Thu Jun 23 08:47:06 PDT 2005

    James> The IBAT API provides the two key services needed by kDAPL:
    James> the ability to obtain a route based on an IP address and
    James> the ability to map a GID to an IP address.

    James> Is there agreement that an IB address translation service
    James> must provide these two services?

I think the first service is reasonable, although one has to be
careful to design it so it works with things like IPv6 link-local
addresses.  The second service, mapping a GID to an IP address,
doesn't make sense to me: for a given GID, there may be no associated
IPoIB address, or there may be many IPoIB addresses -- in fact, it is
difficult to configure an IPoIB interface so that it doesn't have both
IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

 - R.