[openib-general] mapping between IP address and device name

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Fri Jun 24 09:19:25 PDT 2005

    Thomas> Yes, it's weak, but it's needed. A good example is the NFS
    Thomas> server's "exports" function. For the last 20 or so years,
    Thomas> NFS servers have a table which assigns access rights to
    Thomas> filesystems by IP address, for example restricting access,
    Thomas> making it r/o, etc to certain classes of client. (man
    Thomas> exports for gory detail).

Sure, I understand why NFS/RDMA wants the peer address.  However,
forcing this into kDAPL and then making kDAPL go through contortions
to provide it seems like the wrong way around.  We end up with gross
hacks like ATS, which only works for IPv4 and doesn't support multiple
IP addresses on a single interface.

It seems far preferable to me to just define the wire protocol of
NFS/RDMA for IB such that a client passes its IP address as part of
the connection request.  This scheme was used for SDP to avoid
precisely the complications that we're discussing now.

 - R.