[openib-general] mapping between IP address and device name

Talpey, Thomas Thomas.Talpey at netapp.com
Fri Jun 24 10:20:01 PDT 2005

At 01:02 PM 6/24/2005, Jay Rosser wrote:
>On the subject of NFS/RDMA, what is the IB ServiceID space that is used?
>If I recall correctly, I have seen simply the value 2049 (i.e. the
>standard TCP/UDP port number) used in some implementations (i.e. 00 00
>00 00 00 00 20 49). Is there a mapping onto an IB ServiceID defined?

We aren't currently using the portmapper to discover the serviceid that
the NFS/RDMA server is listening on. Brent Callaghan chose serviceid 2049
as a convenience in Sun's first implementation, and so far it has stuck.

Theoretically the server can listen on any endpoint it chooses, this is
how NFS/TCP and NFS/UDP work. But typically all servers use the well
known port. It's probably a good idea to define a better default mapping.

Tom.