[openib-general] mapping between IP address and device name

Jay Rosser jay.rosser at hp.com
Fri Jun 24 10:34:54 PDT 2005

>>On the subject of NFS/RDMA, what is the IB ServiceID space that is used?
>>If I recall correctly, I have seen simply the value 2049 (i.e. the
>>standard TCP/UDP port number) used in some implementations (i.e. 00 00
>>00 00 00 00 20 49). Is there a mapping onto an IB ServiceID defined?
>>

>We aren't currently using the portmapper to discover the serviceid that
>the NFS/RDMA server is listening on. Brent Callaghan chose serviceid 2049
>as a convenience in Sun's first implementation, and so far it has stuck.
>
>Theoretically the server can listen on any endpoint it chooses, this is
>how NFS/TCP and NFS/UDP work. But typically all servers use the well
>known port. It's probably a good idea to define a better default mapping.

Using a well-known port seems okay to me.

However, if I understand correctly, the 2049 ServiceId is in the IBTA's
ServiceID space (i.e. for IBTA-defined well-known ServiceIDs - see IB1.2
Vol1 pg 1181 A3.2.3.1). It would probably make sense to use the IETF
ServiceID space (A3.2.3.2) but that would require someone to administer it.

Thanks,

Jay

--
jay.rosser at hp.com 408-447-3175