[openib-general] putting in dead wood for DAPL and similarabomination

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Wed Mar 2 12:24:47 PST 2005

At 11:22 AM 3/2/2005, Woodruff, Robert J wrote:
>  James wrote:,
> >DAPL has been efficiently supported on top of InfiniBand, iWARP, the
> >Virtual Interface Architecture, Quadrics, and Myrinet.
>
>I think the point is that only one of those interconnects (IB) is
>in the kernel, the rest are proprietary. Do any of the other RDMA
>interconnect vendors plan to submit their code for inclusion into Linux
>in the near future ?

I know some people are working on iWARP devices though this could be done
on the OpenRDMA source work (still a work in progress) which supports both
iWARP and IB.

BTW, I second Tom, et. al. push to use an API to abstract this and avoid
having to permute every subsystem to work for a given device.  The RNIC PI
is intended to provide abstraction for iWARP / IB hardware to a very large
extent (think of this as a standard verbs interface).  IT API / DAPL
provide another layer of abstraction and can be used to integrate
subsystems either over the RNIC PI or whatever verbs API people desire.

Mike