[openib-general] putting in dead wood for DAPL and similarabomination

Yaron Haviv yaronh at voltaire.com
Wed Mar 2 14:26:33 PST 2005

Christoph, the reason the iSER code is very thin is that it is using
kDAPL
(and Linux iSCSI), it doesn't need to deal with SA calls, CM calls,
LIDs, GIDs, and a bunch of other things.

Besides being RDMA transport independent DAPL enable people to code to
RDMA without been intimately familiar with the HW, we saw people coding
to it in days, Which I can't say the same for Verbs.

Abstract layers are not new to Linux, Sockets is another type of
abstraction with multiple protocols/families underneath, or even
Ethernet
Why aren't you suggesting to do TCP implementation for ATM cards, and
one for PPP, etc'

Yaron