[openib-general] putting in dead wood for DAPL and similarabomination

Talpey, Thomas Thomas.Talpey at netapp.com
Thu Mar 3 06:56:49 PST 2005

At 10:48 PM 3/2/2005, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>The current iSER code is 10928 LOC, add to that 22155 LOC of kDAPL (not
>including the actual provider for IB) and 5822 LOC linux-iscsi kernel
>code. Compare that to the 25412 LOC total for drivers/infiniband in Linux
>2.6.11.

Is this just about LOCs? I think you should wait to see how large kDAPL
is *after* it has been properly integrated into the kernel before judging
that. At present, the code is heavily commented and fully generalized to
aid porting to multiple operating systems. It will look quite different once
it is freed of these attributes. Also, I'll point out there is extensive debug
and trace throughout the code, which are optional.

BTW I agree with Yaron that one copy of code in DAPL replaces N copies
of the same code in all RDMA drivers (IB, iWARP etc), or worse, upper
layers. Which is why NFS/RDMA needs it.

Tom.