kDAPL code size Re: [openib-general] putting in dead wood for DAPL and similarabomination

Talpey, Thomas Thomas.Talpey at netapp.com
Thu Mar 3 16:46:50 PST 2005

At 09:56 AM 3/3/2005, Talpey, Thomas wrote:
>that. At present, the code is heavily commented and fully generalized to
>aid porting to multiple operating systems. It will look quite different once
>it is freed of these attributes. Also, I'll point out there is extensive debug
>and trace throughout the code, which are optional.

I did a quick check of the source and I can report that over half the
lines of kDAPL are comments, taking 22KLOC to around 10KLOC.

Debug and kDAPL/uDAPL ifdefs are another ~500, and the dapl_os_*
portability glue ~2000.

By the way, the NFS/RDMA client code is only 3KLOC. I could guess
it would take another few KLOC if it had to interface directly to verbs.
And that's just the NFS/RDMA client. Repeat for server, repeat for
other upper layers such as iSER. Repeat all for iWARP. Ouch.

Tom.