[openib-general] Port of NetPIPE-3.6.2 to OpenIB userspace verbs

Paul Baxter paul.baxter at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Mar 16 00:58:54 PST 2005

From: "Troy Benjegerdes" <hozer at hozed.org>
> Once I get it built and tested locally, I'll probably stick some results
> and a link up at http://scl.ameslab.gov/Projects/InfiniBand/
>
> Sooo... what's the easiest way for me to test this if I have opterons
> with 2.6.11.4 kernels?
>
> (aka, just replace drivers/infiniband from the roland-uverbs branch? And
> does anyone have a clean way of building all the userspace stuff? What
> I've seen so far is pretty tedious)

Troy,

While I appreciate your keenness , I think its a little unfair to criticise
the build status and organisation of code that is still being written and is
subject to change. I'd far rather everyone gets a working core before
worrying so much about how it might be packaged. That does need to be
addressed, of course.

Your comments at your URL regarding complexity and size of the software
stack making progress slow are IMHO unfair to openib.
They've worked hard on getting a streamlined set of functionality into the
kernel and now need to finish off key parts of userspace support and only
then 'package' it so that you will find it easier to compile and test.

They will also need to get some reasonable documentation together (update
the material at the sourceforge IB project?) and start adding other
user-space/kernel functionality, but right now patience is a virtue :)

PS I'm looking forward to another of your excellent writeups when you do get
this working. I hope its current status desn't colour or frustrate your view
of this promising 'alpha' userspace code.

Regards

Paul Baxter