[openib-general] How come the CM doesn't implement the state machine?

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Mar 16 09:25:49 PST 2005

Mark Seuss wrote:
> I have a basic question about the CM. It looks like the gen2
> CM doesn't implement the CM state machine as defined in the IB spec.

The gen2 CM implements the state machine as defined by the IB spec.
The states are defined in ib_cm.h, and the CM uses these when
processing sent or received MADs and to handle timewait.

> It doesn't perform retransmissions, handle timeouts, etc. Is the

The CM will retry requests and perform timeouts.  See
cm_process_send_timeout().

> current CM API intended as the final API, or is this just an
> intermediate step on the way to implementing a full CM such as the
> gen1 CM?

The gen2 CM is a full CM.  It does have some missing functionality, but
nothing that should prevent it from operating.