[openib-general] BUG ipoib oops in iptables/netfilter

Grant Grundler iod00d at hp.com
Tue Mar 29 08:55:11 PST 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 06:51:20AM -0800, Roland Dreier wrote:
> This is just a conjecture, but I see ipt_ulog_packet in your crash
> stack trace.  Looking at the source to ipt_ulog_packet, I see that it
> can access skb->mac.raw.  Prior to Hal's patch, which I just checked
> in today, skb->mac.raw was never initialized and hence could point off
> into space.  So this could be causing the oops.

Yup - sounds reasonable.

> It would be worth updating your ipoib driver to the latest svn and
> seeing if you can still reproduce the crash.

I'll try that. I hope I've got the recipe right to reproduce this.

> BTW I'm not sure running traffic through netfilter is going to give
> you the best possible performance.

I agree. I've disabled it. It was enabled on this kernel only because
of the external facing NIC.  I will regen the kernel w/o netfilter,
remove portmap and possibly inetd though I don't expect any issues
with that. Security and perf testing aren't the best of friends.

thanks,
grant