[openib-general] OpenSM

abhijitngpune abhijitngpune at indiatimes.com
Tue Mar 29 20:52:01 PST 2005

hi,

  Is there any opensource subnet simulator? Where can i get it?

Abhijeet

"shaharf" wrote:

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}

st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }

Hi abhijitngpune,

OpenSM do not know care about the topology of the network. Every connected graph is valid for it. BTW, fat tree can have cycles too. If I don�t err, the algorithm used by the OpenSM is a variation of some well known graph algorithm invented by Dijkstra or based on one of Dijkstra�s (I hope I write his name correctly) algorithm. You can find these algorithms in any graph theory text book � look for �find all shortest paths� algorithms. (for example : http://ciips.ee.uwa.edu.au/~morris/Year2/PLDS210/dijkstra.html )

Very briefly the algorithm that the opensm is using goes like that:

1. All switches learn about themselves (hop 0) and any direct connected hosts (hop 1). They keep this information in a forwarding table that contains (schematically) the following information (the actual details are a bit more complicated to be able to support multipathing) :

Lid (local port id), out-port, hops

2. Now you start the hop>1 learning phase that use several passes over the switches. On every single pass, you go over all switches (the order does not matter) and within each switch you go examine any direct attached switch called �neighbor�.   For every such neighbor you compare your forwarding table to neighbor table. If you find a lid that have hop count less than your hop count +1 (for the extra hop between you and the neighbor switch)  you change you table entry to route that lid thought the connecting port.

3. You repeat the above process until no table is changed during a complete pass, or until number of switch passes are done.

The correctness of this algorithm is left to the reader ;-)

It seems that you are using gen1 stack and Opensm. Please be aware to the fact that gen1 tree is not supported any more. Please use gen2.
The opensm Tcl extension is not supported on gen2 and I don�t know on any plans to support it.

Regarding the topology example � any connected graph will do. I guess that most connected graphs are very inefficient traffic wise, but still all of them are valid.

Demonstrating that a topology is configured correctly is a bit of a problem. If you are willing to spend some efforts, you can use the topology simulator released with Melloanox Gold � look for the IBADM package. This stuff is not very well documented but it should be useable. Melloanox released (or about to release) a real subnet simulator that you can use to run opensm on top of it. Using this simulator you can test any arbitrary topology. The problem is that you have to port this simulator to gen2.
Any volunteers are welcomed�

Shahar