[openib-general] CM private data

Caitlin Bestler caitlin.bestler at gmail.com
Thu May 19 06:21:51 PDT 2005

With a two-way handshake only the passive side accepts the
connection request (it_ep_accept() or dat_cr_accept()). IT-API
defines an optional *three-way* handshake where the active
side must *also* call it_ep_accept() before the final connection
establishment can proceed.

This does not map to iWARP/MPA in any standard way, so
rather than defining a protocol to wrap the first handshake
private data, DAT decided to stick with only two-way
handshaking.

There has been no screaming, so we can presume that
*most* applications find two-way handshaking acceptable.

However an IT-API provider is free to say that it supports
three-way handshaking, and I believe it is implied (if not
required) that InfiniBand providers do so.

What I do not know is if any actual applications have ever
made use of this capability, or if it is only a defensive
encoding of a protocol option into an API that prefers
not to avoid removal of options that are available at the
wire level. DAT emphasized providing a clean API for
transport neutral services, and so simply said "use
two-way handshaking".

In any event, if no support is going to be provided for
private data on the second it_ep_accept at the verb
layer then that should be explicitly documented, and
I'd suggest sending a 'heads up' to the IT-API authors,