[openib-general] [HELP] Encounter Kernel Panic when Add Mellanox HCA Supporting on 2.6.9 Kernel

Cong, Lenber lenber.cong at intel.com
Tue May 24 00:13:21 PDT 2005

Dear All

I tried to enable Mellanox HCA card on RHEL4.

By now the drivers of Mellanox for 2.6 kernel are not ready yet, then I
used the backport patch for 2.6.9 delivered by Woody in 4/16.

I patched the kernel and re-compiled it with modulizing Infiniband
support, and everything is OK.

But when I rebooted the machine with the new kernel, a kernel panic
error was encountered during initializing hardware.

Here is the error message of rebooting: "

Starting udev:

Initializing hardware ... Storage, network, audio Kernel Panic - not
syncing driver/infiniband/hw/mthca/mthca_allocator.c: 46: spin_is_locked
on uninitialized spinlock: f70f7dac

"

If I disabled the option "Mellanox HCA support" when configuring kernel,
system can be rebooted successfully.

But if the option is selected, the error above will occur.

(The machine I used is a Langley server with two 2.4GHz Xeon CPUs. The
OS installed on it is RedHatEL4.)

Does anyone happen to encounter such error? Or did I make any mistake
during the process?

Would you provide some comments/suggestion to me? It will be appreciated
very much.

Thanks.

Lenber

Sincerely