[openib-general] OpenIB and OpenRDMA: Convergence on common RDMA APIs and ULPs for Linux

Venkata Jagana jagana at us.ibm.com
Wed May 25 23:20:14 PDT 2005

I am sure the developers in both of these communities have strong opinions
in one way or
the other about the use of common interface and whatever it is but
ultimately we need to
find a best possible way to move forward in order to support IB, RNICs and
other future
RDMA fabrics. :)

Absolutely, we would like to see a common mid layer with RDMA-specific
components
(for example, IB-CM and RNIC-CM would mostly be different but with very
minimal commonality
between them) developed but also should work to provide a transport-neutral
interface.

Today, we do not have a RDMA transport-neutral support with IB verbs PI in
the kernel but
 we would like to see such an interface so that we can extend it to support
variety of RDMA fabrics.
Just because we have some interface supported in the kernel today doesn't
mean that
we need to live with that interface forever. Within Linux kernel, we
absolutely want to develop
an interface that is extendable to support the future fabrics and we can
evolve this through
an open source process that is acceptable to linux kernel community.

And BTW, I am not suggesting to rip of this existing code right away but
rather continue to use and
evolve it.

I would like to really understand the technical reasons why you say
RNIC-PI is irrelevant to Linux kernel.
RNIC-PI is developed to support not only the RNICs  but it is also IB
compatible. This interface is
something that is developed just like the  open source process but with
much broader community effort
and also with review of linux OpenRDMA community and kernel community
members.

Thanks
Venkat