[Rdma-developers] Re: [openib-general] OpenIB and OpenRDMA: Convergence on common RDMA APIs and ULPs for Linux

Venkata Jagana jagana at us.ibm.com
Thu May 26 22:47:05 PDT 2005

rdma-developers-admin at lists.sourceforge.net wrote on 05/25/2005 09:47:00
PM:

> Venkata,
> Interesting coincidence: I was talking with someone (at HP) today
> who knows substantially more than I do about RNICs.
> They indicated RNICs need to manage TCP state on the card from userspace.
> I suspect that's only possible through a private interface
> (e.g. ioctl() or /proc) or the non-existant (in kernel.org)
> TOE implementation. Is this correct?

Not correct.

Since RNICs are offloaded adapters with RDMA protocols layered on
top of TCP stack, they do maintain the TCP state internally but
it does not expose to the host. RNIC expose only RNIC Verbs interface
to the host bot not TOE interface.

Thanks
Venkat

free.http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7402&alloc_id=16135&op=click