[openib-general] OpenIB and OpenRDMA: Convergence on common RDMAAPIs and ULPs for Linux

Venkata Jagana jagana at us.ibm.com
Thu May 26 23:16:52 PDT 2005

"Woodruff, Robert J" <robert.j.woodruff at intel.com> wrote on 05/26/2005
05:12:27 PM:

> >RNIC-PI is at least an attempt at providing full control over
> >both iWARP and IB while making as much common as
> >possible.
>
> Where were you last year when the IB verbs header files/API were being
> discussed.
> Seems like that was the time to discuss new APIs.
> Now it is a bit late to propose something totally new like RNIC-PI.
> The best thing to do now is to try to influence the existing code
> base to meet your needs rather than recommend a totally new API.
> And the best way to do that is to make changes to the code that exists
> or write new code and send in patches to the list so that it can be
> discussed.
>
> woody

It is just unfortunate to make such an IB-centric statement.
I will ask the same question back to you - why didn't you consider
RNICs when the IB APIs were designed a year ago? If that was considered
a year ago, We wouldn't have this problem today, right? Nothing
can be designed if we don't know what exactly need to be done for RNICs
a year ago. The real answer is because it was too early to adopt RNIC-verbs
at that time when the specs were still evolving in standard bodies
(RDMAC/IETF).

Again because we have developed something a year ago doesn't mean that
we will have to live with that interface forever. Of course,
the question is when and why should this change? As it was discussed
before, we would like to see the common PI developed without
impacting the IB development.

Thanks
Venkat