[Rdma-developers] Re: [openib-general] OpenIB and OpenRDMA: Convergence on common RDMA APIs and ULPs for Linux

Bernard Metzler BMT at zurich.ibm.com
Fri May 27 08:05:01 PDT 2005

Sukanta,

without touching any TOE issues (this question is about RDMA, right?),
after
transforming a TCP connection into RDMA mode and using an RDMA API,
the socket file descriptor is not longer to be used for communication.
In fact, on some implementations the stream socket resources will
even get released. That is, if the socket was the direct consumer
of the TCP stream, then now it is RDMAP/DDP/MPA.
RDMA APIs such as IT-API defining a specific call to convert a socket
based
connection into RDMA mode (e.g., it_socket_convert()).
Other consumers may directly start via an RDMA API, never
opening a consumer controlled socket.

So, in RDMA mode, communication will happen via the RDMA API. At this
stage, the kernel still have to keep completely in its hands the
synchronisation of state information related to that offloaded
connection(s) with the host stack (it would have to protect the
local port used by the offloaded connection for example, others
are routing, ARP, SNMP...), but it is not involved at the data path.

With respect to the kernel based TCP stack, what is not needed is
a hack into the stack and scatter/gather state information of the live
TCP connection between kernel and RNIC, but to find one clean interface
to transfer state information out of that stack and to the RNIC.

With limited benefit, one could of course also implement native
sockets over RDMA, where an in-kernel midlayer on top of kernel
RDMA Verbs is doing the translation between send(), receive() to
post_send, post_receive. But usage of 'true RDMA' operations
like RDMA READ or WRITE might be limited, and I don't see much value
for the user here. One variety of this approach with less limited
access to RMDA benefits might be sockets with extended RDMA
semantics.

Bernard.