[Rdma-developers] Re: [openib-general] OpenIB and OpenRDMA: Convergence on common RDMA APIs and ULPs for Linux

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Fri May 27 12:48:19 PDT 2005

At 10:25 AM 5/27/2005, Sukanta ganguly wrote:
>Mike,
>    I am not sure I do understand what your were trying
>to communicate. Let me try and decode this. My basic
>point was to respond to Venkata's response about
>complete offload without any interaction with the host
>system. I disagree with that in its totality as I
>think there are dependencies and that needs to be
>specified in a formal manner, i.e. in the specs, so
>that we do not have multiple proprietary interafaces
>which change and application users have to change this
>consumption based on individual implementations.
>    And you just brought up the reasons why what I was
>saying seemed to be justfied. Did I read that
>correctly?

You understand correctly.  We need defined interface points where other
subsystems can choose to interact with the RDMA infrastructure.  Further,
there is a set of issues that have yet to be addressed, e.g. that go to how
a customer uses / manages the attached fabrics and how their tool chain is
impacted or not.

Mike