[openib-general] Re: [OpenSM] SA database query tool

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Wed Nov 2 13:11:15 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 15:57, James Lentini wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 13:51, James Lentini wrote:
> > > Hal,
> > >
> > > Is there an existing OpenIB tool that can query an SA's database using
> > > MADs? Specifically, I want to retrieve all of the SA's service
> > > records.
> >
> > The only current way is via ibis.
>
> Is ibis in the OpenIB tree? I've seen it somewhere, but I can't
> remember where.
>
> > > If such a tool doesn't exist, where would you start writing one?
> > > Would you layer it on top of libibmad?
> >
> > There are two approaches I can think of off the top of my head:
> >
> > 1. Support for this and other SA searches in the SM console
> > 2. Be able to obtain these remotely via building on top of umad in some
> > form (a real userspace SA client will likely be done in the not too
> > distant future).
>
> This sounds like a good approach since the tool could be used with
> SM's other than OpenSM.
>
> Is there an application in the OpenIB tree that is a good example
> of how to use the umad library?

As I said there is likely a real SA client that will be developed. In
the short term, you can use some diag as an example but these are SMP
rather than GMP based (except for perfquery). There is some SA
infrastructure in place but I'm not sure how well it works. Would you be
using RMPP too as little has exercised it to date ?

There's sa_call and just an ib_path_query right now (in
libibmad/src/sa.c). A service query could be easily added. RMPP is not
supported yet at this level.

> > What is the timeframe for this need ?
>
> I'm thinking of debugging tools that would be useful for me at SC05.

I was planning on using ibis at SC05 if this was needed.

-- Hal