[openib-general] [ANNOUNCE] Contribute RDS (ReliableDatagramSockets) to OpenIB

Rick Frank Richard.Frank at oracle.com
Fri Nov 4 15:27:42 PST 2005

Folks, I just realized that the RDS proposal doc I posted was not the
latest - I have attached a newer doc.

BTW - Our goal at Oracle is to eventually replace our use of UDP with RDS -
we want to get out of the business of making UDP work for us (from user
mode) - each time we create new internal database clients with corresponding
new IPC requirements.

I'm not proposing that we change our use of the connectionless datagram
model - we have to many dependencies on this.  For example, very shortly we
will need to support reliably (and efficiently) moving 1meg msgs in our
IPC - which will further complicate the UDP implementation - and further
reduce its performance compared to RDP - which can support the 1meg MTU
naturally for some interconnects - and or rely on a driver level
implementation RDS / transport for those that do not.  Basically it is very
hard to do this stuff from user mode.

Note that we will still be using our existing IPC module for RDS - just
removing the remaining UDP vestages.

Of course for this to work - we will need RDS to be ubiquitous - supported
on all interconnects - to include simple Ethernet NICs.