[openib-general] SRP device management client (and a few opensmglitches)

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Thu Nov 17 22:23:42 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 23:50, Roland Dreier wrote:
>     Hal> It's not LocalPortNum. I don't see any easy way to query all
>     Hal> port 2s in the network as for HCAs and routers the PortNum
>     Hal> component is reserved (and you need to supply port
>     Hal> LID). Doing that would only get you all the switch port
>     Hal> 2s. Perhaps the spec should be amended if this is useful. If
>     Hal> the spec were amended like this, you would get all the port
>     Hal> 2s in the network and would then need to determine whether
>     Hal> they were on a switch on xCA. Do you think this is useful ?
>     Hal> Shall I file a comment on this ?  We need to move fast to get
>     Hal> this into 1.2 errata.
>
> I think there are two comments that I would file against the spec:
>
>  - LocalPortNum for SA PortInfoRecord queries is not well defined.

Rather than not well defined, it's not very useful as an SA search field

> It
>  doesn't make sense to me that it should be whichever port the SM
>  happened to discover a switch through, since that could change
>  essentially at random if a switch is multiply connected to the fabric.

I think that's why you would want to use PortNum in the RID rather than
this. However, this is a reserved field for HCAs (and routers). Hence,
my original comment to make this useful as a search field.

>  - It would be nice to be able to do an SA GetTable() query to get all
>  PortInfo records with the IsDeviceManagement bit set in the
>  capability mask (that's what I'm really after in this case).  As it
>  stands now, all that it is possible to do is to set the component
>  mask so that all ports with an exact match for the full capability
>  mask field are returned, and that's pretty useless.

Yes, that's a better way to get this and would be a perfect query for
this.

I will file both of these tomorrow. If there are others you know about
that would be useful, now's a good time to discuss them with Ted and/or
me.