[openib-general] Re: userspace physical memory

Grant Grundler iod00d at hp.com
Tue Nov 22 14:47:12 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 07:51:44PM +0000, yipee wrote:
> Fab Tillier <ftillier <at> silverstorm.com> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> > No, there is not.  The IB spec specifically calls out physical
> > registration as a privileged-only operation.
>
> And what about super-user? Isn't he privileged enough?

This isn't just about "user privileges" - it's about correct
operation in an enviroment with asyncronous operations
(IO and other CPUs). The kernel needs to coordinate
access to physical resources.

> If 'root' can't do it then I'd have to write a small kernel
> module to do it?

If you explained better what you are tring to do, then maybe more
experienced folks can advise if that's a good or bad idea.

grant