[openib-general] [RFC] IB address translation using ARP

Yaron Haviv yaronh at voltaire.com
Fri Oct 7 12:52:29 PDT 2005

Mike,
This is exactly the same case as two IPoIB interfaces over same port with two partitions configured with IP routing between them, or a layer 7 proxy that connects two network segments
I don’t see anything wrong with such a model

> Attempting to create an intermediary who has
> insights into both and then somehow is able to communicate how to find one
> another using some proprietary (can't be through standards that I can
> think of) method, seems like way too much complexity to be worth it.

Assuming the ULPs on both sides are standards, how the proxy is built and how it functions is application dependent just like people do proxies for XML which don’t need to obey to any standard beside be transparent to both sides.
OpenIB should not block the ability to provide gateway/proxy functionality, or routing traffic beyond a single IP addressing hop.
This is just matching IB to capabilities already available in iWarp.

Yaron