[openib-general] [RFC] IB address translation using ARP

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Mon Oct 10 12:56:19 PDT 2005

At 10:40 AM 10/10/2005, Sean Hefty wrote:
>Hal Rosenstock wrote:
>>What about the case of iWARP <-> IB ?
>
>Crossing IB shouldn't matter.  iWarp should simply cross the IB subnet
>using IPoIB.  You could build a gateway to make the transfer across IB
>more efficient, but it's not required.

I don't understand this statement.  iWARP is RDMA based and if someone
wanted to build a gateway with IB in between, it should be mapped to an IB
RC connection 1:1.  Going through IPoIB is a waste and would result in a
very poor performing solution (not that such a solution would deliver
stellar performance to start with.  Prior similar solutions used ULP over
IB and the gateway then provided ULP over TOE and would then be easily
extended to do iWARP.  In general, you would want to have defined domains
for each interconnect and not try to add poor ROI superset functionality of
one over the other - waste of time and money.

Mike