[openib-general] [RFC] IB address translation using ARP

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Mon Oct 10 14:09:45 PDT 2005

At 01:59 PM 10/10/2005, Sean Hefty wrote:

>>>Crossing IB shouldn't matter.  iWarp should simply cross the IB subnet
>>>using IPoIB.  You could build a gateway to make the transfer across IB
>>>more efficient, but it's not required.
>>I don't understand this statement.  iWARP is RDMA based and if someone
>
>I was referring to the case where both endpoints are running over iWarp,
>with IB being one of the subnets being crossed.  I believe that you're
>referring to one side running over iWarp, and the other running over IB,
>with an application level gateway in between.
>
>For the latter case, I would think that the gateway needs to establish
>iWarp connections for any IP addresses that reside on the IB subnet behind
>it, with a separate IB connection on the back-end.  It seems to me that
>this would occur transparently to the application using iWarp.

iWARP with IB in between seems like a waste of time to do (very small if
any market for such a beast).  IB HCA on a host with an iWARP edge device
may be reasonable but again seems like a waste to construct.  These types
of corner usage models while of interest to comprehend to see if there is
any architectural issues to insure they are not precluded really are just
that, corner cases, and little time or effort should be spent on their support.

Mike