[openib-general] [RFC] IB address translation using ARP

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Mon Oct 17 12:23:45 PDT 2005

Tom Tucker wrote:
> At first blush, the API looks good to me. The kinds of changes I was
> pondering were related to hiding some of the routing issues. For
> example, if the app. doesn't bind the rdma_cm_id prior to calling
> rdma_connect, the code will lookup and use the default route instead of
> returning -EINVAL.

 From an app's perspective, they need to perform the following on the client side:

rdma_create_id();
rdma_resolve_addr();
rdma_create_qp();
rdma_resolve_route();
rdma_connect();

Before rdma_resolve_addr() is called, the rdma_cm_id is not associated with a
local device.  So, rdma_resolve_addr() must be called before a QP can be allocated.

I had planned on making rdma_resolve_route() optional, but it complicates device
removal handling.  It can still be done, but only saves the client about 2 lines
of code.

Note that both rdma_resolve_addr() and rdma_resolve_route() are asynchronous for IB.

> I was planning to do a patch and submit it for review, but if you'd
> prefer talking through it -- that's fine

Either will work.  I can accept a patch or modify the CMA directly if it's a
fairly straightforward change.