[openib-general] Re: iWARP emulation protocol

Grant Grundler iod00d at hp.com
Tue Oct 18 17:01:58 PDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 04:40:54PM -0700, Caitlin Bestler wrote:
> > Roland (and the rest of us) would like to see someone name a
> > real consumer of the proposed interface. ie who depends on
> > this change?
> > Then the dependency for that use/user can be discussed and
> > appropriate tradeoffs made. Make sense?
>
> Unfortunately not every application that is under development,
> or even deployed, can be discussed in a google-searchable
> public forum. That especially applies to user-mode development.

Well, this is open source. While I don't want to preclude
closed source developement, it's usually necessary to have
an open source consumer that any open source developer
can test with.

> So I could have actually tested such applications and still
> not be free to cite them here.

Understood. I'm not asking *you* to cite one unless you
happen to own one of the consumers.

> With any luck some of them
> are following the discussion and will jump in on their own.
> Unfortunately, since they are developing to uDAPL they are
> unlikely to be following this discussion.

It doesn't help that the DAT yahoo-groups.com mailing list is rejecting
my replies.  It would be helpful if someone following this forum could
share Roland's question with DAT mailing list if it didn't make it
there already and possibly explain why naming a consumer is necessary.

hth,
grant