[dat-discussions] RE: [openib-general] Re: iWARP emulationprotocol

Kanevsky, Arkady Arkady.Kanevsky at netapp.com
Wed Oct 19 10:13:40 PDT 2005

Sean,

if look at the proposal it shows 2 ways to address this.

1. Have 2 protocols.
One just send SRC IP address and port, and provdie 64 bytes to ULP.
Another one send both SRC and DEST info and leaves 48(+-) bytes of
private data for ULP.

2. Have 2 protocols.
Split IPv4 and IPv6 methods.
For IPv4 send SRC and DST addressing and 64 bytes of ULP private data.
For IPv6 we have several options.
a. GID=IPv6 address
b. use second CM frame to have carry ULP private data.
c. others

But having multiple versions supported is not pleasant.
It looses a simple backwards compatibility of current
protocol which just formats CM private data field.

Arkady Kanevsky                       email: arkady at netapp.com
Network Appliance                     phone: 781-768-5395
375 Totten Pond Rd.                  Fax: 781-895-1195
Waltham, MA 02451-2010          central phone: 781-768-5300