[dat-discussions] RE: [openib-general] Re: iWARP emulationprotocol

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Oct 19 10:37:58 PDT 2005

Kanevsky, Arkady wrote:
> if look at the proposal it shows 2 ways to address this.

I did notice this.

> 1. Have 2 protocols.
> One just send SRC IP address and port, and provdie 64 bytes to ULP.
> Another one send both SRC and DEST info and leaves 48(+-) bytes of
> private data for ULP.

If the goal is to make the mapping from IP address to IB address transparent,
then I think we want a single protocol.  Ideally, the application shouldn't need
to know if they're connecting over iWarp, IB, or any other RDMA NIC.  Any
solution that makes IB appear different than iWarp makes this more difficult to
accomplish.

> 2. Have 2 protocols.
> Split IPv4 and IPv6 methods.

Same issue as above.  This makes IB connections appear differently than an iWarp
connection.  This is why I asked if the destination address is required.  If it
is, then the applications need to make do with less private data.

> For IPv4 send SRC and DST addressing and 64 bytes of ULP private data.
> For IPv6 we have several options.
> a. GID=IPv6 address

Unless an IP packet can be sent to a GID and be processed, I don't consider a
GID equal to an IPv6 address.  I also don't think that we should require system
administrators to add GIDs to IB ports just because they want to add an IP
address to a system.

> b. use second CM frame to have carry ULP private data.

An application can make due with no private data.  They can transfer whatever
data that need once the connection has been established, like all TCP
applications do.  Adding more CM messages to pass the same data that should be
passed over the user's QP is the wrong approach.

In fact another alternative is to make all CM private data reserved.