[openib-general] [RFC] OpenSM Interactive Console

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Thu Oct 20 06:53:44 PDT 2005

> > * Topology
>
> This can be done via SA queries currently.
>
> > * guid/lid/IPoIB address/switch port mappings
>
> The SM does not know (see) IPoIB addresses. The only thing it sees is
> the part of the subnet address.
>
> The rest can be done via SA queries currently.
>
> > * link state
>
> This can be done via SA query currently.
>
> This argues for a higher layer API to make these queries easy.
>
> > Future neat things to do:
> >
> > * An interface to dynamically partition the fabric
>
> Is this referring to IB partitioning ?

I think so, but IB partitioning may not actually map to what I'm
interested in.  From the high-level (application) point of view, I want to
ensure that communication traffic for one cluster job minimally affects
another job.

> > * Register for notifications for certain events (excessive traffic
> > 		queueing, or error counts)
>
> Not sure what you mean by excessive traffic queuing.

I guess I'd like to know whenever utilization on a single link exceeds
90%, or the queuing delay exceeds XXX nanoseconds.

> It is the event set which is of interest to me. Are there others ?
>
> There are a set of events which can be subscribed to currently. The ones
> along these lines are local link integrity threshold reached on a port,
> excessive buffer overrun threshold reached on a port, flow control and
> update watchdog timer expired on a switch port.
>
> If you are referring to the PortCounters, these would need to be polled
> (at some periodicity) and then an event created as there is no event for
> this defined in IBA.
>
> Higher layer APIs could help with this area too.

Some of this stuff may not necessarily belong in the OpenSM process either..
Stuff like getting IPoIB address from GUID's would be usefull in a
library, but isn't the SM's responsibility.