[openib-general] [RFC] OpenSM Interactive Console

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Thu Oct 20 03:54:12 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 21:23, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 03:10:31PM -0400, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> > Currently, OpenSM does not support an interactive console. There has
> > been a desire to introduce the ability to change certain parameters (as
> > well as display things) once OpenSM has started. This patch introduces
> > the first most basic commands: help and loglevel. I am investgating
> > adding smpriority to this. The console is invoked by specifying -console
> > as an option on the opensm command line.
> >
> > If you have a request for a command you would like in the console, I
> > would like to compile a list of these.
> >
> > Comments ?
>
> As well as a console, I'd like an API for some way for external programs
> (say a cluster queue manager) to be able to query the SM (or the sm + some
> helper library) for the following things:
>
> * Topology

This can be done via SA queries currently.

> * guid/lid/IPoIB address/switch port mappings

The SM does not know (see) IPoIB addresses. The only thing it sees is
the part of the subnet address.

The rest can be done via SA queries currently.

> * link state

This can be done via SA query currently.

This argues for a higher layer API to make these queries easy.

> Future neat things to do:
>
> * An interface to dynamically partition the fabric

Is this referring to IB partitioning ?

> * Register for notifications for certain events (excessive traffic
> 		queueing, or error counts)

Not sure what you mean by excessive traffic queuing.

It is the event set which is of interest to me. Are there others ?

There are a set of events which can be subscribed to currently. The ones
along these lines are local link integrity threshold reached on a port,
excessive buffer overrun threshold reached on a port, flow control and
update watchdog timer expired on a switch port.

If you are referring to the PortCounters, these would need to be polled
(at some periodicity) and then an event created as there is no event for
this defined in IBA.

Higher layer APIs could help with this area too.

Thanks for the input.