[openib-general] Re: [swg] Re: private data...

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Thu Oct 20 11:11:17 PDT 2005

Fab Tillier wrote:
> I would personally rather see a reserved bit get used.  Imagine a system that
> has two protocols installed that use IP addressing.  That system might want to
> have different apps listening on the same port number over both, even though the
> protocols are different.

I don't think that this maps well to TCP.  Apps need to listen on different ports.

> Having a reserved bit in the REQ indicate the presence of IP addressing
> information (including source and destination port numbers) in the private data
> seems most flexible to me.

How would a reserved bit help here?  How does the CM know which app to give the
request to?

My preference is to use the service ID, with a mapping that looks like:

(OPENIB_OUI << 48) + port number

because that makes my job easier.  :)