[openib-general] Re: [swg] Re: private data...

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Thu Oct 20 11:31:57 PDT 2005

At 11:09 AM 10/20/2005, Roland Dreier wrote:
>     Fab> I would personally rather see a reserved bit get used.
>     Fab> Imagine a system that has two protocols installed that use IP
>     Fab> addressing.  That system might want to have different apps
>     Fab> listening on the same port number over both, even though the
>     Fab> protocols are different.
>
>I disagree.  The port number is part of an IP address, and it doesn't
>make sense to have two different services listening to the same port.
>You can't do it over TCP or iWARP, and I don't see any reason for IB
>to support this.

This is one of the reasons why there is a SDP port mapper defined for
iWARP.  The application listens on a defined service port but based on
policy outside of the protocol, the application instance may be redirected
to different IP address or port to transparently operate over a RDMA
interconnect.  So, the application listens on one port while the RDMA
infrastructure transparently listens on a separate port and potentially IP
address.

Mike