[openib-general] Re: [swg] Re: private data...

Caitlin Bestler caitlinb at broadcom.com
Thu Oct 20 11:30:06 PDT 2005

The closest thing that you come to having "two services" on one
TCP port would be iSER-style services. Full emulation of this
would require establishing an SDP connection, using SDP to exchange
messages to establish that the remote peer was RDMA capable, and
then "converting" the socket to RDMA mode (i.e., disabling the
SDP handling).

Using RDMA to simulate sending of streaming mode messages for
the purpose of determining whether the remote peer supports RDMA
is at the minimum rather strange.

The effort to benefit ratio on that one is far from convincing.
Supporting transport neutral connection setup for applications that
*know* they are using RDMA semantics is 90% of the benefit at way
less than 90% of the effort.

For what it's worth the SCTP adaptation of iWARP does *not* support
this TCP feature. So if an IP protocol doesn't think it is worth
emulating then why should IB do it?

The transport neutral approach is to say that the application determines
whether RDMA is supported. If it knows RDMA is supported it establishes
a connection to a TCP port that is advertised as supporting RDMA. If the
network in use is IB then there is no need to send a wire message to
establish that RDMA is supported.