[openib-general] Re: rdma_bind_addr question

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Thu Oct 20 12:35:34 PDT 2005

Tom Tucker wrote:
> Right now the code (ib_translate_addr) seems to assume that the device
> is for an IPoIB device. Going forward, how do we know whether the
> underlying net_device is for an IPoIB device, an iWARP device, or a dumb
> Ethernet device?

The code does assume this currently.  The code should check that the net_device
type = ARPHRD_INFINIBAND.  Without this check, the CMA will simply error out
later when mapping the returned address to a GID.

> For the first two, we will take one of two paths in the CMA, for the
> dumb Ethernet device I presume we will return an error.

I guess the proper thing to return is -ENODEV from ib_translate_addr() if we
have the wrong device type.  The CMA could then check iWarp devices.