[openib-general] Re: [swg] Re: private data...

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Thu Oct 20 12:59:16 PDT 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Fab Tillier wrote:

> [...]

I don't understood what you mean by TCP application. I assumed you
meant an application that uses the Berkley sockets API to communicate
over TCP, but I see now that is not what you meant.  This IBTA
proposal does not involve any interactions with the TCP protocol
stack.

> That's not to say you couldn't have one range of service IDs for TCP
> applications,

What do you mean by "TCP applications" in this context?

> and another range for DAPL applications,

I don't see a reason why DAPL applications couldn't take advantage of
the services being provided by the proposed protocol.

> and yet another range per protocol or application that wishes to use
> IP addressing during connection establishment.

How are the applications in this group different from the "TCP
applications" above?

> However, this doesn't extend the CM protocol, but just creates an
> ad-hoc group of protocols that happen to define the first 32-bytes
> of their private data similarly.
>
> Having a bit in the CM REQ indicate whether the first 32-bytes of
> private data contain the source and destination IP addresses allows
> any app using any service ID to use IP addresses as source and
> destination identifiers regardless of what protocol they actually
> use once the connection is established.

For a particular protocol, I would expect this addressing service
either to be used or not used. I can't envision a situation were you
would want the protocol to use this service in some situations and not
use the service in others.

If multiple protocols are going to be using the same service id (some
times an server for protocol X is listening on service ID Z, sometimes
a server for protocol Y is listening on service ID Z,...) and their
use of this service isn't consistent, then I agree that the CM bit
solves this problem.

> Defining service ID ranges for particular protocols then becomes the
> responsibility of the organizations defining such protocols and the
> owner of the OUI with which the service ID ranges are defined, and
> is outside the scope of the IBTA.

This is a good benefit.

I still think viewing this as a new service that uses a well known
service id is cleaner. Then the addressing protocol and CM protocol
aren't tied together.