[openib-general] Re: [swg] Re: private data...

Fab Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Thu Oct 20 13:44:58 PDT 2005

I disagree.  Using a reserved bit indicates that the first 32-bytes of private
data have a known format and can be evaluated by an entity shared by multiple
clients (the CMA).

The service ID on the other hand indicates what protocol is implemented over the
connection once it is established.

> In any case, I don't see how defining this private data format without
> specifying which service IDs use it is all that useful.

You can do both, but I think they are separate.  The protocol can be useful
outside the scope of DAPL or NFS/RDMA.  WSD could use it, and then use a
higher-level CM to do all the IP to IB path management rather than duplicating
it.

- Fab