[dat-discussions] RE: [openib-general] Re: [swg] Re: private data...

Kanevsky, Arkady Arkady.Kanevsky at netapp.com
Thu Oct 20 14:06:49 PDT 2005

The real issue is how Consumer specifies whether to use current CM
protocol with unformated private data or proposed CM with formated
private data.
So the extra bit tells CM how to interpret private data.
connection request is delivered to Service ID specified in the request.
Local CM does not have to know which TCP port that Service ID
corresponds.
CM does not care about TCP ports. But the ULP above CM does that is why
it will get formated private data.

It can even be possible for that ULP to handle both formats of REQs.
In one case it will get only private data and can make basic assumptions
base on it, and in another it will get full socket address and can make
the full distinctions of the requestor based on it.

IBTA plans to define new CM which formats the private data.

DAPL may decide to only support new CM format.
Or may decide to support both with some caveats.

But the issue for OpenIB CM will still remain to support both or not?
and if yes (for backwards compatibility) how to expose it?

The issue how IP address is translated to IB is done by IPoIB.

There is a need for a facility that translate TCP port to Service ID.
Mapping should be defined by IBTA. That is what being discussed there.
This is part of the protocol definition not API.

Once this is defined ULP can decide on which Service ID(s) to listen.
Requestor can send conn req to a specific Service ID (IB specific)
or use higher level abstraction - TCP port.
CM may be capable to translate TCP port to Service ID based on ULP.
For example, iSER over IPoIB will be mapped to one Service ID and
native iSER over IB will be mapped to another. But this is not simple.
On another hand every intermediate level protocol (SDP, IPoIB) can
do conversion. But this is also hard and is extension of existing
protocol.
or at least a facility on top of it.

Arkady Kanevsky                       email: arkady at netapp.com
Network Appliance                     phone: 781-768-5395
375 Totten Pond Rd.                  Fax: 781-895-1195
Waltham, MA 02451-2010          central phone: 781-768-5300