[openib-general] TCP/IP connection service over IB

Caitlin Bestler caitlinb at broadcom.com
Fri Oct 21 14:04:47 PDT 2005

More relevantly, GIDs are syntactically identical to IPv6.
The only real difference between a GID and an IPv6 address
is who/how the network portion is assigned.

While IPv4-only applications exist, they are not supposed to.
Certainly no new API or protocol should encourage an application
to be IPv4 dependent.

The rationale for using only the IPV4 format would be that
GIDs *could* be assigned that are valid IPv6 addresses. Hence
no translation would be needed.

Relying on assignment of IPV6 compatible GIDs may be undesirable,
however, because HCAs generally cannot accept a large number of
assigned GIDs.

The amount of private data supported does vary on network characteristics.
A responsible application should be allowed to piggy-back additional data
when the larger size is support (512 bytes over IP networks). Forcing the
application to have to use an additional round-trip over the network would
not be network friendly. However, it should be clear to application
developers that they are expected to make their applications work
in the minimum size guaranteed -- and that the minimum size is adequate
for the core purpose of enabling the QP to be selected/configured.