[openib-general] TCP/IP connection service over IB

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Fri Oct 21 13:34:31 PDT 2005

> Random thought... if the src and dst IP addresses will always be on the
> same network, the data could be layed out as:
>
> network addr (x)
> src host addr (y)
> dst host addr (y)
>
> This could save enough space to provide 64 bytes of user private data.
> Although my preference would be to keep it simpler.  (I'm not that
> familiar with IPv6 addressing.  How does it define network versus host
> addressing?)

I don't think you want to make the assumption that src and dst addrs are on
the same IP network.  While that may be true for a set of IB hosts on a
common IB switch set as a single IP subnet, there may be TCP/IB
bridge/gateway products that allow remote IP hosts to connect into an IB
cluster and those could certainly be on a remote subnet.

IPv6 addrs define networks in a similar manner to IPv4:  IE some number of
the bits in the address define the network number, and the remaining define
the host number.