[openib-general] RE: [dat-discussions] round 2 - proposal for socket based connection model

Caitlin Bestler caitlinb at broadcom.com
Tue Oct 25 11:23:34 PDT 2005

Joe Touch's current draft on spoofing prevention covers this well
in Section 3.2 (draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-antispoof-02). IP networks can
prevent address spoofing at the network layer using IPSec or by
having border routers/filters validate the source address of incoming
packets against routing rules.

The latter is covered in RFC 2827 "Ingress Filtering for Multihomed
Networks" and RFC 2267 "Network Ingress Ingress Filtering: Defeating
Denial of Service Attacks which employ IP Address Spoofing"

And more generally, in a TCP network a non-privileged client is NOT
allowed to bind to any address and is NOT allowed to send raw Ethernet
to bypass the host stack.