[openib-general] RE: [dat-discussions] round 2 - proposal for socket based connection model

Caitlin Bestler caitlinb at broadcom.com
Tue Oct 25 11:28:59 PDT 2005

The remote peer will be able to use an existing CM to send a
forged IP address. There is nothing the receiving CMA, or consumer
(no matter how privileged) can do to detect this without the
cooperation of privileged components on the remote end.

They cannot know that the cooperation they are receiving
from the remote end is from a privileged entity unless it
comes from a privileged QP and is not part of the existing
pass-through data.

And playing the "I'm only in kernel" ostrich game doesn't help.
Any connection establishment protocol has to make sense from
both user and kernel modes and needs to be symmetric. But it
needs to include clear controls on who is trusted to provide
what information, and what information MUST come from a privileged
entity.

A source IP address that can come from a non-privileged entity
is NOT consistent with IP network connection establishment semantics.